2 lbs unroasted, unsalted almonds
2 cups kosher salt
1 quart water
Hickory or Maple wood
1. In a large pot, combine the water and salt. Stir to dissolve.
2. Add the almonds. Set aside to soak for 24 hours.
3. Drain nuts. Set out to dry on paper towels.
4. Heat smoker, keeping heat between 180 and 200 F for the entire process.
5. Line smoker racks with cheesecloth and lay out nuts in one to two layers per rack.
6. Smoke for 3 - 4 hours, stirring every 20 minutes. Two hours in, alternate the rack positions.
After three hours, start checking your nuts for flavor. When the smoke taste permeates the entire nut, they are done.