Instead of using actual cream, I created the creaminess by blending the soup and adding a cheese that has a high melting point, like Parmesan.
Natalie's Broccoli Soup
3 tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs broccoli, stems peeled and chopped, florets set aside
1 head cauliflower, chopped
5 russet or golden potatoes, cut into medium chunks
6 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
2 tsp salt
2 tsp cracked pepper
1 cup hard cheese, grated (Asiago, Parmesan, Romano, etc)
1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
2. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli stems, potatoes, garlic, broth, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
4. Add broccoli florets and cauliflower. Cook until all vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes more.
5. Working in cooled batches, blend the soup in a blender until smooth. Transfer blended portion to a large pot for reheating.
6. Heat soup back up over medium-low heat. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese until stringy. Top with remaining cheese and serve.