I had a terrible sweet tooth last night. Caramel corn seemed like the only answer which was quite surprising as I haven't made caramel corn in almost a decade. This recipe doesn't keep...you'll have bowl of concrete if you let it sit overnight. I suggest that you pop in a good movie, gather the family around the popcorn bowl, and eat every last bite.
3/4 cup corn kernels, popped (I like to filter out kernels that don't pop)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup honey
1 stick butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla (I like Madagascar Bourbon vanilla)
1. Put the popped corn into a large, paper grocery bag. Set aside.
2. In a 2 quart microwave safe bowl, plop in the brown sugar, honey, and butter. Microwave on high for two minutes. Stir. Repeat twice. Sugar should be dissolved.
3. Remove from microwave and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
4. Pour the topping over the popcorn. Wrap the top tight and shake well for a minute or two.
5. Microwave the entire bag on high for two more minutes. Remove and pour into a bowl.
I like to eat the corn after it has sat around for about 30 minutes and has had a chance to cool down.